Since the beginning of 2021 Tanquián has seen many new developments. Manú and May, the children of the pioneer Emmely who started this project 30 years ago, have initiated the second generation of the Tanquián eco-community. Over the course of January and February the first 7 permanent members of Tanquián 2021 have moved in and are immersing themselves in the communal self-sufficiency farm life.
With a vision of taking over Tanquián for the year 2021 to learn everything this 5,5 ha land has to teach, the first focus of the year lay on absorbing all the information and wisdom from Emmely. She would leave the new community to their own devices after a few weeks of introduction and workshops on all topics ranging from preparing compost heaps over sowing seeds in the greenhouse to preparing the first vegetable beds for onions or garlic.
- creating the vegetable calendar with times to prune berries/wine, sew + plant veg, look out for pests, regular weeding, harvests etc
- pruning the vineyard, berries, preparing vegetable beds: weeding, mulching
- compost maintenance
- caring for chickens
- eat off the land in February
- learn about the animal maintenance and training of donkeys, caring for chickens
- workshop intro
- community building and community care
- foraging edible veg for our meals, learning to cook with the seasonal veg/fruit, milling grain and baking our own bread, making our own vinegar, making jams, preserving harvests of nuts, making muesli
- community activities: entroido, ecstatic dance, exploring the surrounding land/forests, taking the donkeys for a walk
- building primitive wooden structures from cut branches as prototypes for more tent-like accommodation for future volunteers and visitors